people die because of fires outbreaks and burns as a result of faulty electrical wiring. Majority of those who die are elderly adults and children who are not able to rescue themselves in case of a fire hazard as a result of an electric fault. The following are some of the safety tips for wiring electrical outlets.
Tip #1: Install safety switches
When your electricianis doing the whole wiring in your house make sure that he or she installs safety switches at the meter box. This will give you the assurance of switching it on and off when there is need.
Tip #2: Test safety switches
After the installation of the safety switches in your meter box it is worth testing them after some time. The thumb rule demands that you test them after three months by just pressing the “T” button. If it turns of power then it is in good condition but if it does not switch of consider installing another one.
Tip #3: Avoid piggy-back or ‘double adapter’ connections
Connecting too many cords to an outlet which is designed for one plug leads to overloading of electrical power, thus leading to a fire outbreak. You should therefore, use extensions or power boards that have safety drives within them which prevents any overload of any power outlet.
Tip #4: Childproof your outlets
Children are found of poking small items such as wires, pens, sticks among other things into electrical outlets. When doing the wiring of the electrical outlets in your house, consider installing childproof plugs in these outlets. By installing childproof outlets, you will discourage children from poking the outlets with their playing materials.
Tip #5: Get a licensed electrician to do your wiring
There are a number of electricians who are not competent in their work. When you need an electrician to do some wiring are repairs in your house then call one who has been given a license by the government. Check the credentials and experience of the electrician before giving him or her an ok of doing any electrical wiring for the outlets in your house.
Tip#6: Look out for water leaks
Water is an excellent conductor of electrical power and when it leaks into the power outlets an electric shock can be experience or even a fire outbreak can occur. In the process of wiring electrical outlets check the water leaks in your house and ensure that it is immediately repaired by a plumber who is licensed. In addition to this, you need to keep all the electrical appliances, extension leads, and cords away from water.